:: Re: [DNG] init scripts
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: Devuan ML
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] init scripts
o1bigtenor via Dng - 01.08.23, 16:00:54 CEST:
> I'm running devuan daedalus using sysV inits.
> Why - - - - cause I don't know what I'm doing so try to change as
> little as I need to to get what I want working.
> Sowent looking - - - - sysVinit is parked in Canonical's empire - - -
> that's scary and then there is the 'nothing changed since 2015'. That
> might mean that its an incredibly well crafted item ;that has had very
> little need of any follow up changes. Given that there were a
> regular series of changes in the three years leading up to 2015 - - -
> well - - - somehow I'm not convinced as to the 'no need for change'
> paradigm.

sysvinit has seen some new upstream releases in the last years since its
new maintainer Jesse Smith picked up the work. So nothing has changed
since 2015 is not quite accurate.

Whether to use sysvinit or something else is a different question.

In case you are happy with sysvinit, there is not really a need to
change it. I chose Runit as installation option for the last Devuan
systems I installed. However before that I switched one Debian to Devuan
and then to Devuan with OpenRC. I also switched one Debian to Devuan
with default sysvinit. I would install both of them with Runit by now,
even tough OpenRC also has an approach to service supervision but… I did
not switch them yet as they are remote servers without an easy out of
band access.

As for Runit, switching can be done in a two step process. Installing
just "runit-run" as a package gives you an opportunity to play around
with it. You can start it from Sysvinit and see whether things work
okay.

In case you like to switch completely install "runit-init".

I'd also look carefully that the package "runit-services" gets
installed.

If unsure try all of this with a test system and/or prepare a live Linux
in order to be able to fix up things.

That written, I would not expect any issue that would prevent booting
completely.

With OpenRC I did have an issue that did not prevent booting, however
the recommended approach to run a certain command in order to reboot
back then locked me out of SSH without accomplishing the actual reboot.
I had the machine restarted and it booted fine. I had no issues after
that. No idea whether there is still an issue like that.

Anyway, my preference is for Runit.

Ciao,
--
Martin