:: Re: [DNG] I offered to help
Página Inicial
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] I offered to help
wirelessduck--- via Dng - 01.08.23, 04:10:38 CEST:
> > On 1 Aug 2023, at 01:49, Steve Litt <slitt@???>
> > wrote: Martin Steigerwald said on Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:02:01 +0200
> >
> >> So in case you like to contribute, I suggest you subscribe to the
> >> debian-init-diversity mailing list I already posted and/or contact
> >> the maintainer of the runit-services package Lorenzo (as shown by
> >> "apt show runit-services").
> >
> > Thanks Martin. You explained this beautifully, and it made sense. I
> > just signed up for debian-init-diversity.

[…]
> If you need any help testing your runit scripts I can help there. Will
> they be sent as merge requests to debian salsa? I don’t have an
> account there but it should be easy to create one if it’s not
> restricted access?

Guest accounts are basically unrestricted if I remember correctly:

https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/Doc#Users

Someone will need to give you write access to a project, in case you
like to contribute changes yourself. That is how I maintain the one
Debian package I still maintain.

However just for testing you may not even need an account, unless you
like to put your findings as comments into Salsa Gitlab. Just head to

https://salsa.debian.org/Lorenzo.ru.g-guest/runit-services

click on the blue Clone button, grab the HTTPS URL from there and then
do

git clone https://salsa.debian.org/Lorenzo.ru.g-guest/runit-services.git

For runit-services package please learn about cpsv as well. Lorenzo
invented quite the process to actually just install the runit services
that are needed. He made man pages for the tool.

The pre-defined services are in /usr/share/runit/sv. Including meta
information in ".meta". cpsv then syncs the necessary services to
/etc/sv and /etc/service => /etc/runit/runsvdir/current

> One thing I’m not entirely sure about is how runit logging would work
> with debian logrotate program. Does the runit logging handle its own
> rotation? Do daemons that log to syslog not need any runit logger?

It does its own rotation. On several systems I even use socklog instead
of rsyslog for the regular syslog stuff. I did not yet really get used to
svlog / socklog encoding timestamp into filenames like this:

@4000000064c6a1a732568efc.s

but there is a link from to the current one and ls -l would show
timestamp of files in a readable fail.

All logging from svlog and socklog is stored within /var/log/runit.

> I think someone else already mentioned the debian package maintainer
> scripts, postinst preinst postrm prerm etc. do they have anything to
> do with sysvinit and will they need any changes for runit?

I installed "runit-init" so everything is done by runit here. So the
question is for Steve I bet.

Might also be a good question to ask on the debian-init-diversity
mailing list. Remember Devuan *and* Debian developers who favor using a
different init system than Systemd are on this list as well as upstream
package maintainers like the maintainer of sysvinit Jesse Smith. Also
the package maintainers in Debian / Devuan for Sysvinit, Runit and Co
are there.

Best,
--
Martin