:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:23:27 +1000
onefang <onefang_devuan@???> wrote:

> On 2023-07-29 08:13:22, tito via Dng wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 14:30:36 +1000
> > onefang <onefang_devuan@???> wrote:

> > > Do I have to resurrect my ancient LSB compliant SysV init code that could
> > > figure out dependencies, run things in parallel, and even work with init
> > > "scripts" written in ANY language? It was written as a busybox module,
> > > and could even cope with multiple other init "scripts" as modules in the
> > > same busybox binary. LSB compliance means it reads the headers, which in
> > > typical init scripts are shell comments in the first few lines of the
> > > script.
> > >
> > > I could teach it how to grok shitsemDie units.
> > >

> > Hi,
> > yes using the info contained in .service units would be
> > a elegant solution, but they ship a lot of them (and timers,
> > targets, etc) so I suspect that picking the right ones
> > is not simple without hardcoding the names (not so elegant),
> > also the command lines used are different as the ones
> > in SysV init scripts (daemonizing, logging).
>
> If I ever go ahead with this, I'll figure it out. I'm great at that.
> B-)

Hi,
I think this is the only way to stay ahead of systemd devs
using their own momentum. Init scripts are the preferred
tool to marginalize other init systems as you have to ship
them yourself for every daemon out there, using service
files to get the info and rebuild init scripts on the fly
at first boot would be such a masterpiece!
If you need any help (testing or whatever) drop a mail.

> > I would like to see your busybox module as I love busybox
> > code. I recall that something like what you propose maybe
> > was attempted (as a GSOC?).
>
> Since you asked, I moved it from SourceForge to my own server (like I had
> before with my github projects), and converted it to git from cvs.
>
> https://sledjhamr.org/cgit/urunlevel/

Cloned.

If I understand it right it uses C instead of scripts for LSB
stuff and functions?

> Haven't touched it in 18 years. lol

Ciao,
Tito