:: [DNG] kea-isc server [was Re: Stuff…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Nick Rickard
A: dng
Assumptes vells: Re: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/resolv.conf (was Re: request for advice)
Assumpte: [DNG] kea-isc server [was Re: Stuff mucking with /etc/resolv.conf (was Re: request for advice)]
On 20/07/2023 01:37, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:

>> On 19 Jul 2023, at 21:04, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>>
>> Talking about isc-dhcp-client, I saw in the Debian 12 release notes that
>> that is deprecated (because ISC deprecated it)[1]. For folks using
>> ifupdown, like myself, the notes mention udhcpc as a possible substitute.
>>
>> [1]: https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#deprecated-components
>
> The ISC packages for DHCP client and server are still in Debian 12 so there is plenty of time to plan transition.
>
> I can see ISC kea is now packaged in bookworm repository so that might be the best server replacement choice?

Possibly straying a bit off topic, but I've just moved across from isc-dhcp-server to kea-dhcp4-server. I've got a fairly straightforward setup: DHCP server handing out static and pool leases, plus a few doing TFTP/PXE booting. The ISC Kea instructions [2] are comprehensive so not a quick read. They provide a tool [3] to help migrate the config file which worked for me with minor tweaking.

Two issues.

First, I had to manually create /var/run/kea. This took a bit of tracking down as "service kea-dhcp4-server start" didn't produce any errors. It seems to be an issue that should have been solved [4] and from a glance the init.d file looks like it should check and create this so not sure why it was an issue for me.

Second, "service kea-dhcp4-server start" starts the process. "...status" is okay. But "service kea-dhcp4-server restart" and "...reload" brings up an error "start-stop-daemon: warning: this system is not able to track process names longer than 15 characters, please use --exec instead of --name". I haven't had time to look into this.

[2] https://kb.isc.org/docs/kea-configuration-for-small-office-or-home-use
[3] https://dhcp.isc.org/
[4] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=910671