:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] request for advice
On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 4:22 PM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 2:34 PM Antony Stone
> <Antony.Stone@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 10 July 2023 at 21:04:28, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> >

> I'm quite new to the under the hood stuff so I try not to pretend that
> I actually know something about networking! (grin!)
> (Apologies if I come across as overly stupid - - - just know that I
> know not enough to really troubleshoot this!)
> > > Greetings
> >
> > Greeting - stuff snipped from the below, obviously :)
> >
> > > Yesterday evening we had some thunderstorms march through.
> >
> > > AIUI that means that I have some kind of DNS resolution issues.
> >
> > > Was there anything else I could have done to re-establish internet
> > > connection?
> >
> > I'd say the first place to start with this is to tell us what your current DNS
> > setup actually is :)
> >
> > I can think of the following common possibilities:
> >
> > 1. Your router gets a DHCP address from your connectivity provider, along with
> > their DNS server addresses, and it hands out local IP addresses, but the same
> > external DNS servers, to DHCP clients on your local network.
>
> The router is running DD-WRT and AIUI thuis (#1) is what is happening.

snip

> > Once we know this sort of detail, I think people will be able to think of
> > which bit you might have restarted in order to get DNS going again, without
> > having to reboot the whole thing.
>
> Because I couldn't do any searching for other options is why I chose to just
> reboot (I hate that solution - - - - call it a M$ fix in fact).

Please - - - can someone tell me how to restart this part of the system without
having to restart the whole box?

(Thread veered off in a number of directions after this email. Would
still really
like to know - - - I'm in thunderstorm season for at least another 8 weeks so
the likelihood of needing the information is - - - to me - - - quite real.)

TIA