:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on change (spli…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on change (split) partitions of an md raid
Simon said on Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:10:21 +0100

>>> s/business world/big business world/
>
>NO ! “business”, not just “big business”.
>Clearly the costs of lost work and delays will be higher for a big
>business, but for a small business, the lower costs can be more
>significant. But that’s something that will vary between businesses,
>and depend on the owner’s attitude to risk, and how they value their
>time and information. I guess there will be some who figure that all
>they might lose is a day or two, and they can remember what little
>they did in that time - and for them, it may be cost effective to not
>bother with raid.

Take my one man business, for instance. Troubleshooters.Com has a guy
skilled in ext4, bash, Python, POSIX etc, but nobody skilled in LVM or
RAID. I'm obviously not going to hire an employee to do LVM and RAID,
so upon disk problems I'd need to retain the services of a contractor
proficient with LVM and RAID, and probably that consultant will take a
day or two to get here. So the day or two I lose simply using ext4 is a
wash. But wait, there's more!

I have a shellscript called bupsky with which I can back up the current
directory just by typing bupsky. So on a hot project that's rapidly
changing, I type bupsky every few minutes. I could achieve the same
thing with git, but I don't use git on every project. If I wanted to,
instead of having the destination of bupsky be on a local drive, I
could have it be on a network drive or a thumb drive, so that when my
hard disk is destroyed, I have much of the work I had that day right on
the network drive or the thumb drive.

The following is my bupsky command:

#!/bin/sh

buptrunk=/scratch/bup