:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Simon
A: Devuan ML
Asunto: Re: [DNG] request for advice
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> That is until I got to my main system to find that I could ping my router
> and radio (I'm on wireless fixed point internet - - - I won't call it high speed
> as the ISP does as that is quite a joke - - - 9 Mbit down when its working
> well - - - snort!) but not mz googly at dot ca which is my norm but I could
> access 8.8.8.8 .
>
> AIUI that means that I have some kind of DNS resolution issues.

Yes, that sounds like DNS

> What was wierd was that on wireless systems - - - the wife's smart (?)
> phone she was able to reach where she wanted.

Android by any chance ? I wouldn’t be surprised if Google has baked in using it’s servers, also Google have been pushing DoHTTP (DNS over HTTP) which uses HTTPS to get name resolution in the browser and completely bypasses the system DNS settings.

> Was there anything else I could have done to re-establish internet connection?

Based on you running OpenWRT, I’d say possibly a matter or restarting the appropriate service.

But my preference is to run my own resolver (I’m a stick in the mud BIND user) on my network, doing it’s own recursive resolution. Assuming you have full control over your router, you should be able to configure your resolver the same way.
There’s lots of arguments for/against all of the options. Running your own recursive resolver means you are not reliant on any specific resolver, and other than the ISP who can sniff your traffic, no one entity gets to see all your DNS queries.

Syeed Ali <syeedali@???> wrote:

> On a related note, I've learned that surge protectors don't remain
> reliable forever.

Indeed they don’t. They rely on devices such as MOVs (metal oxide varistors) which change from high resistance to low resistance above some threshold voltage. These devices have a limit on power dissipation and will fail if exposed to a high energy transient.

And on a related related note, it’s possible for a such protector to actually make things worse by shifting the effects. There is something of an art to setting up effective surge protection (typically to deal with the effects of lightning) for other than trivial setups.

Simon