:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: o1bigtenor
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] request for advice
On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 2:34 PM Antony Stone
<Antony.Stone@???> wrote:

> On Monday 10 July 2023 at 21:04:28, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

I'm quite new to the under the hood stuff so I try not to pretend that
I actually know something about networking! (grin!)
(Apologies if I come across as overly stupid - - - just know that I
know not enough to really troubleshoot this!)
> > Greetings
>
> Greeting - stuff snipped from the below, obviously :)
>
> > Yesterday evening we had some thunderstorms march through.
>
> > AIUI that means that I have some kind of DNS resolution issues.
>
> > Was there anything else I could have done to re-establish internet
> > connection?
>
> I'd say the first place to start with this is to tell us what your current DNS
> setup actually is :)
>
> I can think of the following common possibilities:
>
> 1. Your router gets a DHCP address from your connectivity provider, along with
> their DNS server addresses, and it hands out local IP addresses, but the same
> external DNS servers, to DHCP clients on your local network.

The router is running DD-WRT and AIUI thuis (#1) is what is happening.

(Am waiting for a new ISP install and then I am going to be changing this
to quite a different system.)

snip

> There may be other arrangements :)
>

> Once we know this sort of detail, I think people will be able to think of
> which bit you might have restarted in order to get DNS going again, without
> having to reboot the whole thing.

Because I couldn't do any searching for other options is why I chose to just
reboot (I hate that solution - - - - call it a M$ fix in fact).

> I agree that UPSs are a splendid idea, but like backups, they do need to be
> tested to make sure they're actually providing the comfort and security you
> think they are :)

This is another area I need to educate myself in - - - - argh - - - - so many
things to learn and do and so bloody little time and the years they are a
flying!!!

Thanking you mr Antony for the assistance!!!

Regards