:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: al3xu5
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system...
Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:53:15 +0200 - Antony Stone
<Antony.Stone@???>:

> On Sunday 18 June 2023 at 13:24:14, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:

> > The first big question is: is it still appropriate, with current SSD
> > discs, try to reduce writings?
>
> My very limited opinion is no, but I'm certain there are people here
> with better opinions and reasons for them than mine.

Indeed. Some people here (and out of here) say reduce writings on SSDs
may still make some sense.

[...]
> I use Raid on almost everything, and given that your Velociraptor is
> 250Gb and your Raid is 2 x 1Tb, I see no reason to store anything
> important on the 250Gb.

[...]
> I would simply mount the partitions where you want them.

[...]
> Yes, you can use symolbic links for all of those.

Indeed, this corresponds to my initial idea: move all relevant (to me)
data to raid 1 md mirror (external backup), using either fstab mounts (for
partitions, maybe /home, /tmp, /var) and symlinks (for some
sub-directories, maybe some /home subs, /var/logs, /var/spool, /var/tmp...)

> > - Does this complexity risk leading to an unstable or fragile system?
>
> No, but I do question using real partitions instead of LVM, which I also
> use almost everywhere, and gives you far more flexibility into the
> future.
>
> > - Is this complexity justified compared to the longer duration of the
> > SSD disc?
>
> I don't see a problem with it - if that's the way you feel like running
> your system, go for it. I see no reason it won't work perfectly okay.
>
> > - What else I'm not considering and/or evaluating?
>
> LVM.

Thank you
Regards
al3xu5

--
Property is theft! (P-J Proudhon) ...today more than ever.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B