:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: al3xu5
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system...
Mon, 19 Jun 2023 05:56:05 -0400 - Dan Purgert via Dng <dng@???>:

> On Jun 18, 2023, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> > [...]
> > The first big question is: is it still appropriate, with current SSD
> > discs, try to reduce writings?
>
> Modern SSDs have something like 400x their drive capacity as their
> general lifespan. So, if you're not reformatting the drive every day,
> you really don't have to worry about it.

Now my system is ona WD Velociraptor 10000rpm 250GB (no raid + external
backup).

All relevant (to me) data are on 1TB disk (raid 1 md mirror + external
backup), which holds some /home sub-directories (symlinks), a partition
containing some VM, other partitions...

I am going to replace this mechanical disk with a Samsung 870 EVO 500GB
with a TBW of 400TB and 5y warranty...

Being not sure about durability, I would think about reducing the writes
to the SSD, to minimize the risks of losing data...

That's why I'm asking... understand how much I can *really* trust SSDs

> In my experience (so, anecdotal at best ;) ) the drives work out to
> approximately the same rough "lifespan" of 5-7 years (noting that I do
> have SSDs in the 7-10 year age range).

others think it's still preferable to reduce writings... and that's what
confuses me

[...]
> Why not just leave them on the SSD with the rest of your $HOME? Too
> big?
>
> > - About /var: could I limit myself to "move" using symbolic links only
> > /var/log, /var/mail, /var/spool, /var/tmp?
>
> Potentially, but what benefit do you think you will get from this?

reduce writings on SSD, if it really served to increase the life of the
disk... here is my doubt

> Maybe 15-20 years ago when the drives were essentially "OS-Only" (32/64
> GiB), and had lower TBW specs complexity like you describe was probably
> warranted. These days, with pretty decent capacity and TBW allowances,
> it can make more sense to just stick to simplicity.

see above... :-)

thanks
regards

al3xu5

--
Property is theft! (P-J Proudhon) ...today more than ever.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B