:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: o1bigtenor
Cc: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system...
On Sun, Jun 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM al3xu5 via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I apologize if I'm OT... but I would like advice from you.
>
> My current system derives from a migration from Debian to Devuan carried
> out since the "origins", even before Jessie, then updated over the years
> to Chimaera.
>
> The system is installed on a WD Velociraptor 250GB 10000rpm,
> with Power_On_Hours of over 10000 Hours. Other info: LXDE Desktop, RAM
> 32GB.
>
> I am considering replacing the system disk with an SSD SATA SAMSUNG 870EVO
> 500GB (1.5 Million Hours MTBF) on which to proceed with a fresh
> installation of Daedalus.
>
> There is also a second mechanical disk (MDM RAID: 2x 1TB mirrored) whose
> partitions are mounted on /media.
>
> I also have an external backup of the WHOLE system ;-)
>
> The basic idea is to use the SSD disk for the system, moving the
> partitions (or directories) on which the most writes take place to the
> mechanical disk, also by accepting a compromise between speed and duration
> of the SSD disk.
>
> For this I would like to know your opinions and suggestions.

I can't really answer your technical questions but - - - - I can tell
you what I'm
running and it is quite snappy and seems to - - - so far anyway (for
somewhat over
a year) work fairly well.

I was recommended many years ago to keep partitions on their own spaces - -
so I have partitions for EFI/boot, root, usr, var, usr/local, swap and
home. The first
six are set up on 2 nvme.2 drives so each partition is mirrored (not
remembering
about swap but I think it was too). Home has its own mirror on 2 SSD drives.

(This division was recommended so that /var could not ever hamstring /root and
I understand that most don't seem to worry about that but it seemed like great
advice some 7 or 8 years ago so its continuing today (not that I've
ever had issues
with /var though - - - grin!)

Most of my info is on a raid-10 array of spinning disks - - - with
only a few key directories
actually backed up on USB sticks.

HTH