:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Antony Stone
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system...
On Sunday 18 June 2023 at 13:24:14, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I apologize if I'm OT... but I would like advice from you.

<...detail snipped...>

> The first big question is: is it still appropriate, with current SSD
> discs, try to reduce writings?

My very limited opinion is no, but I'm certain there are people here with
better opinions and reasons for them than mine.

> And then: which mechanical disk should be used for /tmp, /var, swap
> etc...? Better reuse the "old" non-raid system disk (WD 10000rpm), or the
> actual mirrored sdc disk (see above)?

I use Raid on almost everything, and given that your Velociraptor is 250Gb and
your Raid is 2 x 1Tb, I see no reason to store anything important on the
250Gb.

> Other doubts are:
> - Is it worth bringing with symbolic links /home/desktop and
> /home/downloads on the mechanical mirrored disk (sdc)?

I would simply mount the partitions where you want them.

> - About /var: could I limit myself to "move" using symbolic links only
> /var/log, /var/mail, /var/spool, /var/tmp?

Yes, you can use symolbic links for all of those.

> - Does this complexity risk leading to an unstable or fragile system?

No, but I do question using real partitions instead of LVM, which I also use
almost everywhere, and gives you far more flexibility into the future.

> - Is this complexity justified compared to the longer duration of the SSD
> disc?

I don't see a problem with it - if that's the way you feel like running your
system, go for it. I see no reason it won't work perfectly okay.

> - What else I'm not considering and/or evaluating?

LVM.

> Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

I look forward to see all the others.

Antony.

--
A few words to be cautious of between American and English:
- momentarily

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.