:: Re: [DNG] Request for information -…
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for information - - re: networking
On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 1:30 PM Jim Jackson <jj@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jun 2023, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>

> > Should I switch my present router from 192.168.1.1 to my chosen
> > 172.16.x.x (I'm running on dd-wrt)?
>
> Do you want your sensors (assumed ethernet connected) to use the router and
> be able to access / be accessed from the internet?
>
> If yes then do it.

Not really - - - - I only want stuff to be accessible from the 'house' lan.

>     How are existing machines network configured?

>       If they are manually configured you will have give them numbers in
>       the new network range. If you let your router do DHCP, then you
>       should be ok.

>       How are the sensors network configured? If using DHCP, can your DHCP
>       server manage that numbers of DHCP clients? You may have to configure
>       your routers DHCP server to have a big enough range of addresses to
>       hand out.

> If no then it would be better to use the existing 192.168.1.0 network for
> those machines that need internet access, and use the bigger 172.16.x.x
> addresses for the sensors and the machine they talk to. You can run
> several networks on the same phyical LAN. You will have to put the
> machine the sensors talk to on this network as well. A linux network
> interface has have several addresses.

Hmmmmmmmm - - - - this set of questions/suggestions is why I \'m
asking questions.
There will be a plethora of sensors, a smaller number of SoC kind of
systems - - - some
of which manage parts of things and sometimes function as 'data recorders'.
I had no idea that I could have two networks (or maybe even more) on one
physical lan. Now - - - how do I find out the
limitations/challenges/and gotchas with
that idea?

>    https://kifarunix.com/create-virtual-secondary-ip-addresses-on-an-interface-in-linux/

> In this case I would manually configure my machine with fixed IP addresses
> in both networks.
>

> > (Any suggestions for how to learn more about networking without buying
> > hugely pricey Cisco courses?)
>
> There are 2 aspects of this - 1 is learning about how networks work, and
> then learning about the various tools various mequipment give you to
> configure the network. Linux gives you lots of options.
>
> TCP/IP networking Ref guide
>
> http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/basic-network-reference
>

> Ubuntu's Introduction to networking ...
>
> https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/network-introduction
>

> Try this
>
> https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/sysadmin-essentials-networking-basics
>
> It covers the basic CLI commands reasonably well.
>
> You could try the Debian reference doc
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html
>
> here are some others ...
>
> https://www.baeldung.com/linux/network-interface-configure