:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Information request …
Author: o1bigtenor
To: jeremy ardley
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Information request (maybe OT - - - dunno)
On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 9:33 AM jeremy ardley via Dng
<dng@???> wrote:

> On 13/5/23 22:21, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>
> Hmmmmmmm - - - not sure - - - - thinking maybe RS-485? (haven't
> finalized any of this thinking yet!)
>
> --
>
> You have multiple serial options including wireless links.
>
> - RS-485 ~ 100m
> - SPI ~ 10m
> - I2C ~ 3m
> - 1-wire ~ 30-50m
> - bluetooth ~ 3-5m
> - wifi ~ 20-50m
> - Zigbee 10-100m

I'm sorta quite allergic to wireless - - - - imo its a great idea in
theory but in practice
- - - well I can come up with at least 3 reasons why its not a great
idea - - - - grin!

Looks like I'm going to be using RS-485 with some poe power injection modules.

> Your issues will include power reticulation.

Had to look that up.
Sorry - - - - been doing a lot of LV power setup and run for a long
time - - - didn't know
that that was called 'reticulation'. Working on adding 3-phase - - -
need that for major
power items - - - - using like 3 to 7.k kW and that's out of the 'make
sense in single phase
country'.

> PoE over CAT-5 can deliver 5V or 12V to multiple remote locations. Other options include solar and battery

Hmmmmm - - - just did a little playing with ampacity charts
seems at 5V with 2.5 A (not that big a draw imo) well I need to run 10
ga if I'm running 5 m.

> If you standardise on CAT-5 then you can run most protocols and power in 1 cable.

Given the above - - - - there is a lot more thinking through that will
need to happen!

Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!