:: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to lin…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Haines Brown
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to linux printer
On Fri, Apr 07, 2023 at 03:05:56PM -0700, capercally.bleery670@??? wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2023 at 11:04:50AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> > I get my printer's IP address (obfuscated) with
>
> >     $ curl -s https://icanhazip.com
> >     32.210.NNN.NNN

> > For printer queue I do
>
> >     $ ippfind
> >         ipp://lenin.local:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M428f-M429f
> >         ipp://HPF8B46A8264A8.local:631/ipp/print
> >         ipp://lenin.local:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M428f_M429f_8264A8

> > I presumed the second line is the printer queue I should tell the
> > Mac about. I also used the ipp:// prefix.
>
> Isn't this mixing two different things together? Either you want to
> use the Linux system as a print server (and then the IP of the printer
> should not matter), or else you want to print directly from the Mac to
> the printer and then the queue on the Linux box (presumably lenin,
> heh) should not matter.

Thanks, Ian, I certainly does mix them. Decided to hvae my linux box
(Daedalus) be a print server for the Mac laptop. But I find that the
guideline to set linux up as a print server makes no sense. That is
ends with cross your fingers and hope is not very ecouraging.

For example, I'm told to modify /etc/cups/cupsd.conf by changing
the Listen line to " Listen *:49631". Or should that line be added?
It says further he print location section should look like this:

  <Location /printers>
         Order allow,deny
           Allow 192.168.0.*
           Allow 192.168.1.*
   </Location>

I have no such Line or section in my cupsd.conf.

Apparently making these chages will make the linux box into a print
server wheb CUPS is restarted.

--

     Haines Brown
 /"\