:: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to lin…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Neue Treads: [DNG] CUPS history (was Re: Connect Mac laptop to linux printer)
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Connect Mac laptop to linux printer
Le 08/04/2023 à 00:05, capercally.bleery670@??? a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2023 at 11:04:50AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>
>> I get my printer's IP address (obfuscated) with
>>     $ curl -s https://icanhazip.com
>>      32.210.NNN.NNN
>> For printer queue I do
>>     $ ippfind
>>          ipp://lenin.local:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M428f-M429f
>>          ipp://HPF8B46A8264A8.local:631/ipp/print
>>          ipp://lenin.local:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M428f_M429f_8264A8
>> I presumed the second line is the printer queue I should tell the
>> Mac about. I also used the ipp:// prefix.
> Isn't this mixing two different things together? Either you want to
> use the Linux system as a print server (and then the IP of the printer
> should not matter), or else you want to print directly from the Mac to
> the printer and then the queue on the Linux box (presumably lenin,
> heh) should not matter.

    Port 631 is the port of the CUPS server of lenin, I guess.

    May be you don't know, but CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) was
first developped by Apple. Later they built a new system, probably
because they changed their mind about sharing something with non Apple
machines. It seems you are dealing with this new system, but the good
news is that CUPS is most probably still installable on Mac.

    Of, course, as a creation of Apple, CUPS is pretty complex: it
mixes the concepts of client and server, allows hopping between separate
networks,which should be forbidden, and allows looping over several
hosts before reaching a printer which is available directly. But a neat
configuration of CUPS gives good results.

    CUPS can be configured either by editing the config file or via
http://localhost:631 .

--     Didier