:: Re: [DNG] Lightweight computing dis…
Author: Simon
To: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Lightweight computing discussion tonight, 4/5/2023
onefang <onefang_devuan@???> wrote:

> On 2023-04-05 18:18:12, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for the late notice. Tonight at 7:00 Eastern Daylight time,
>> 4/5/2023, GoLUG is having an online meeting where we'll discuss
>
> I'm guessing that's USA time. Other countries have an east you know. Oh
> and USA date format to. Please be a bit more exact with these things in
> future.

To be fair, that is an internationally recognised time zone https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/edt and according to the list of abbreviations on that site, while there are other eastern time zones, they have the country or region name in them (e.g. Australian Eastern Daylight Time).
I do agree that it would probably help such an international audience to add a UTC time as well - I suspect most of us know our own offset from UTC and could easily convert without help, but not from various other zones with different daylight savings rules*.

* Many years ago I was involved in a work project with some US based colleagues. It was “interesting” keeping track of when the conference calls were, given that the US has different daylight savings rules to Europe & the UK. I also has some European TZ colleagues - mostly we’d be 1 hour apart, but back then the UK had slightly different change dates so for a week or two a year, we’d either have the same time or 2 hours difference. It’s all good fun :-)

Still, at least this is nothing but a minor irritation - like some unlucky people https://www.theregister.com/2009/07/23/intercept_commisisoner/

Simon