:: Re: [devuan-dev] wicd
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: sawbona
CC: Devuan Dev Team
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] wicd
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 03:36:56PM -0300, sawbona@??? wrote:
> Hello Hendrik:
>
> On 23 Mar 2023 at 13:52, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > Just cloned wicd's git repository on launchpad and, assuming I had a
> > clue how to handle git, switched it to the python3 branch.
> I'm sure you can.
> Unfortunately I don't have a clue.
>
> > Now wondering what to do with it.
> After my email exchange with that chap from the project page, I sort
> of lost all hope.
>
> > And wondering whether it has any relation to the wicd in devuan's
> > experimental.
> There is a wicd in Debian experimental with a datestamp from 09/2019,
> which is newer than the one in the project page.
>
> wicd (1.7.4+tb2+2019.09.18git2e0ba579-1)
> https://packages.debian.org/experimental/wicd

That version number is still in the range for pre-python3.
The python 3 branch is intended for version 2.0 and on.
But of course the still-broken candidates for the current python will have numbers tha collate before 1.0.

> > Not ready to commit to working on it yet, but looking into
> > feaasibility.
> That would be great.

First step is to try to read the code and fugire out how it is intended to work.

> Maybe the chap who started to do some work but gave up can give you a
> lead or information about what he actually did?
>
> > ... a chimaera package for wicd ...
> > ... transitional package ...
> Worthless.
>
> Should you decide to do anything with Wicd, count on me for any
> testing you need to do.

Will do. I can pretty well onlu test it on twp wifi laptops.

-- hendrik