:: Re: [DNG] Reaping orphan processes.
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Reaping orphan processes.
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
> Le 06/03/2023 à 00:12, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> Rainer Weikusat via Dng said on Sun, 05 Mar 2023 19:31:09 +0000

[...]

>     AFAIU s6-rc and openrc aren't meant to be Pid1. In this spirit,
> there is no real need to replace Sysvinit, which has demonstrated
> extremely high reliability and is perfectly able to monitor any daemon
> manager if this is ever necessary; replacing it is essentially an
> exercise of style; only the replacement of the Sysv-RC machinery is usefull.

The Linux sysvinit is a seriously old and crufty codebase with a lot of
abandoned mess in it (I know this as I have maintained forks of it with
some features I needed added for a while). OTOH, it works and hence,
there's no good reason to replace it even despite its main feature set
is pretty obsolete nowadays.