:: [devuan-dev] bug#745: dbus-x11: Sev…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Martin Steigerwald, 745
CC: Simon McVittie, 1032368
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#745: dbus-x11: Several processes in Plasma session including krunner have / as current working directory
Control: forwarded -1 https://bugs.debian.org/1032368

Martin,

Thanks for this.

On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 09:59:35AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Package: dbus-x11
> Version: 1.14.6-1devuan1
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> I also reported this to Debian as

Simon McVittie's is, of course, correct that src:dbus being forked in Devuan
means this should be dealt with in Devuan. Notwithstanding that, I am very
grateful for his thorough, considered and illuminating reply. The same behaviour
is evident in a non-systemd Debian installation.

Like Simon, I have no experience of KDE or krunner. I also agree that legacy
DBus activation appears to be working here as intended and documented, with no
guarantee on the cwd given.

My gut reaction is that this issue is should really be resolved elsewhere. If
it is crucial that krunner uses a particular working directory, then it needs to
chdir() explicitly itself.

I also quite understand his concern that changing the behaviour of DBus may have
unintended consequences and I am certain that changing the behaviour of DBus
during the freeze will not happen. I suppose early in the next cycle is
possible. Simon, might the implications of that be reviewed again upstream? I
found an upstream issue with patch to implement such behaviour that has not been
merged[1].

Thanks

Mark

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/issues/214