:: [devuan-mirrors] More fiddling with…
Author: onefang
To: devuan-mirrors
Subject: [devuan-mirrors] More fiddling with how DNS-RR works.
G'day, your friendly neighbourhood Devuan package mirror herder here.

We are considering changing how DNS stuff works once more.

Before I became involved, the walk through for new mirror admins said to
send us your IP addresses for your new mirror. The source file that I
edit and that is used to create DNS round robin, the new
CC.deb.devuan.org round robin, and
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt, currently includes those IP
addresses you tell me to use for your mirrors.

Now we are thinking we can just find out what those IPs are by doing DNS
lookups on your mirrors domain names. No one knows why we originally
required mirror admins to send us so we can include them.

If anyone has any reason why us just using DNS lookups wont work for
them, please let us know.

The only thing I can think of is that the whitelist for ssh+rsync is
currently defined using those IPs, but it can be defined using domain
names according to the docs. So I would switch it to using the FQDN of
each mirror when we do this change.

BTW the CC round robin is getting closer to fruition. I mostly need to
teach them to apt-panopticon so it can test they are working, then we'll
make a proper announcement. We are currently working on the installer
offering a list of CC package mirrors. The CC lookups are already working.

Thanks everyone for your help running mirrors.