:: Re: [DNG] mutt CR problem
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mutt CR problem
On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 06:17:11PM +0100, dng@??? wrote:
> On 07-02-2023 12:51, Haines Brown wrote:
> > This not a big problem but annoying. I'm running devuan testing, and
> > thus nano 5.9-1 and mutt 2.2.9
> >
> > When I copy and paste text to and from nano there is no problem with
> > carriage returns.
> >
> > However, I use nano as editor in mutt. When I copy multi-line text
> > from nano into a mutt mmessage, a yellow alert pops up at the botton
> > of the message window:
> >
> >    "Pasting two control characters. Continue?"

> > I established that these control characters are the end of line
> > sign. This did not occur until I upgraded to testing. My mutt
> > configuration remains the same as beafore.
> >
> > Commenting muttrc does not stop the alert. It is annoying because it
> > interrupts the flow of work.
> >
> > I suspect the problem is a new default behavior of the testing
> > varsion of mutt.
> >
> I know this behavior from the xfce4 terminal and under Preferences->General
> unchecked the setting "Show unsafe paste dialog"
>
> Hopefully this helps.

Nick, Thank you for the suggestion. I use mlterm as my mutt editor.
When I do Ctl-RMB on the mlterm, a configurataion dialog for it pops
up. There are many configuations, but of interest under its "Others"
tab is the option "Trim trailing CR/LF in pasting". I tried to enable
it, but whether I click Save&Exit, Apply&Exit or Apply, the option is
not saved.

I find that mlterm can be configured with entries in ~./mlterm/main .
The online guide runs down the options, but nothing about CR/LF or
pasting.

I'll have to pursue this with the mlterm maintainer.

--

     Haines Brown
 /"\