:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
karl@??? writes:
> Rainer Weikusat:
>> I'm willing to put work into this although this would only proceed
>> slowly as this would amount to just a few hours each Sunday.
>
> If you want to spend time on this we could assemle a small group
> handling this in devuan.
>
> The easiest solution to this is using a kernel with needed drivers
> compiled in. My suggestion is to add:
>
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
> CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y
> CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
>
> and using busybox init and mount.

I'm running a kernel with all critical drivers compiled in. It also
doesn't have SELinux support because that's not good for anything I
would want to do with this system. Yet, the system cannot boot without a
working libselinux because someone saw it fit to turn that into a
mandatory part of the system. In my opinion, a system where libselinux
cannot ever be used for anything shouldn't fail to boot because it can't
be loaded. My workaround is good enough for me. I'd be willing to put
work into a more general solutions if this was of interest to other
people than me.

For religious reasons, I refuse to use busybox for anything. I spent
some years working with and fixing this code for an embedded system at
the time when these were still fairly small. The corresponding product
(not project) is long dead, hence, I'm rid of the associated
problems. Unless I'm forced to, I'll never again touch this code(base).