:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
On 1/6/23 18:49, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 06:14:50PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>> Hi Ralph,
>> I started over with only the netinstall usb plugged in.
>> I used the plain install but when it came to configuring the network there
>> were problems. I use static manually assigned ip addresses and the
>> installer wants to use DHCP.
>>
>> I started over with the expert install. This time on its own it went
>> through the detect and mount install media and completed without any
>> problem!
>>
>> At the partition disk step I exited to the console.
>> blkid returned only sda1,2,3 already partitioned from a previous attempt.
>> The usb stick did not show up.
>>
>> df -h showed:
>> tmpfs mounted on /run
>> devtmpfs mounted on /dev
>> /dev/sdb1 mounted on /cdrom
>>
>> ls /cdrom returned nothing
>> The directory /cdrom does exist.
>> mount -t is09660 /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
>> returned no such file or directory.
>
> Oh? That looks very peculiar... that /dev/sdb1 is mounted on /cdrom
> while neither that blkid shows /dev/sdb1 nor that /crdom exists !?!?
> and that ls /cdrom returns nothing...
>
> I don't think I've every has that combination of things at the same
> time, so I'm not sure what to do...
>
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

After poking around some more I think I have found the problem.

blkid always shows the hard drive but sometimes shows sdc1,2 and
sometimes not. When it does show trying to mount it at /cdrom will make
it disappear. df-h always shows sdb1 as mounted on /cdrom but sdbx
doesn't show in /dev. sdc shows in /dev but it won't mount anywhere.

I am sure the three sd/usb storage devices I have been working with are
good because they always mount and read on two other computers. I think
the usb ports on the mini-pc are flakey. I bought it "refurbished"
through amazon. I am going to get an exchange or refund and buy another
somewhere else. If I then have problems installing I will post again.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Best regards,
Fred