:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 14:36:37 +1100
Ralph Ronnquist <rrq@???> wrote:

> Please note that the iso is a "hybrid iso" with a couple of different
> boot methods supported. In particular it typically presents a CD boot
> option for BIOS boot systems also when written to USB. So it may be
> that one you should try.
>
> I might be able to go through the hybrid boot setup, which involves
> playing funny-buggers with the partitioning table(s). But it's not a
> very fun story and I'm likely to explain it wrong anyhow :)
>
> Ralph.
>
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 06:38:11PM -0700, Fred wrote:
> > On 1/3/23 18:22, john faulk wrote:
> > > Have you tried going into the bios at all?
> >
> > Yes, I have been all through the bios. I checked the boot order which is:
> > CD (which the pc doesn't have)
> > USB
> > Network (which I removed)
> >
> > There is another page that also lists the internal hard drive.
> >
> > The boot options are: Legacy and Secure Boot which appears to be a Windows
> > thing. There is a tab for UEFI drivers. If that is selected it changes to
> > a page that says I will be directed to a page for a third party rom also
> > accessible with F3. If that is selected it changes to a page with only the
> > option: EXIT which reboots the pc. I assume the rom is not installed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Fred
> >

> > > On Tue, Jan 3, 2023, 7:18 PM Fred <fred@???
> > > <mailto:fred@blakemfg.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     On 1/3/23 15:54, Antony Stone wrote:
> > >      > On Tuesday 03 January 2023 at 22:28:41, Fred wrote:
> > >      >
> > >      >> Hello,

> > >      >>
> > >      >> I bought a "refurbished" HP EliteDesk 800 G2 mini-pc with the
> > >     intention
> > >      >> of running Chimaera on it.  However, it will only legacy boot
> > >     and the
> > >      >> .iso install files for Chimaera on the USB stick are .efi.  Is
> > >     all hope
> > >      >> lost or is there a work around?

> > >      >
> > >      > Sorry, but I don't understand the problem.

> > >      >
> > >      > I have at least four machines here which have no concept of UEFI
> > >     - they boot
> > >      > using BIOS only, and yet they (start and) run Chimaera quite happily.

> > >      >
> > >      > So, when you attempt to install Chimaera on this EliteDesk
> > >     machine, what
> > >      > exactly is the problem you run into?

> > >      >

> > >      >
> > >      > Antony.

> > >      >
> > >     The pc sees the usb stick as it turns on the led and at times makes it
> > >     flash.  However, what it does is snoop around the local network
> > >     until it
> > >     finds the gateway then it downloads Windows 10 and starts setup for
> > >     that.  If I don't have the Ethernet cable attached it eventually brings
> > >     up a screen with several remote servers and allows one to be selected
> [...]

Hi,

a alternative solution could be to extract the hard drive install it into another
amd64 system, install devuan on it and add all firmware (free, non free and others)
deb packages. Then put it back into your HP box. I think it will boot and with a few
minor fixes you will have devuan installed and working.

Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Tito