:: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2022-12-…
Author: B Stack
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2022-12-01
# Devuan meet 2022-12-01 @20:30 UTC

Present: hendrik, golinux, plasma41, hagbard, fsr

## Old Business

## Old Actions

## New Business

### LeePen

#### ci.devuan.org Changed to LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 for package pipeline. This
prevents bug closing emails with unexpected ANSI_X3 encoding.

#### DAK Fixed import of binNMU builds.

#### Packaging

##### consolekit/elogind/seatd I am very concerned at the lack of
  activity in elogind upstream (nearly 2 years since a release and
  nearly 1 year since last commit). Currently, elogind works, but we are
  forced to keep up with the systemd ABI which requires an active
  upstream. As has been pointed out before, the source code is very
  difficult to maintain. It would only take a systemd ABI change in
  Debian and newly packages built could be broken. Unless Sven reappears
  or somebody else takes over, I think it may be a dead end. Until
  recently, [consolekit](https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2/)
  was dormant upstream, but now has active contributors. I have updated
  our packages to 1.2.4. Upstream appears to be working on compatibility
  shims for the logind API. An other option might be seatd. I have been
  exploring with how far we could get using that and greetd. I have a
  simple graphical desktop with sway, seatd and consolekit working
  already. It needs theming and anybody who is used to or wants
  pkexec/xfce/mate/gnome(?)/etc. will find it bare-bones beyond belief.
  I normally use openbox and sudo and I quite like it (except for having
  to relearn keystrokes). It is clean and feels *very* fast even under
  qemu. A basic working setup:-
  * Boot to console under qemu with `-vga qxl`
  * Run `echo 'DAEMON_ARGS="-g video"' | sudo tee /etc/default/seatd`
    (manual step that I will fix in the seatd packaging)
  * Install sway, seatd, xwayland and libpam-ck-connector
  * Add user to video group.
  * Log out and back in
  * Run sway: `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with session sway` (I need
    to prefix WL_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1 to see the cursor)
  * Try fuzzel for a more graphical launcher than dmenu. The other
    avenue that is worth exploring is patching xorg to support seatd.
    Kenny Levinson (seatd upstream) thinks it should be doable, but
    perhaps ugly. Is anybody at all familiar with xorg-server source? I
    have begun to look at this. Everybody is welcome to [contribute to
    the
    repository](https://git.devuan.org/LeePen/xorg-xserver/src/branch/support-libseat)

##### Other updates
* ceres: network-manager, packagekit, net-tools, util-linux,
pdns-recursor, new fork of czmq from hagbard (thanks) which closes:
(#622)[https://bugs.devuan.org/622], binary rebuild of fluidsynth
(which is still not enough to get britney to migrate :-()

#### Amprolla
* Support for out of date source notifications to irc is available for
review in the [irc-notifications
branch](https://git.devuan.org/devuan/amprolla3/commits/branch/irc-notifications),
running on the test instance and logging to
[#devuan-ci-test](irc://irc.libera.chat/#devuan-ci-test). Seems to
work as expected without undue spamming.

### bb|hcb
* Together with rrq we upgraded all physical hosts to `chimaera` and
`ganeti` to 3.0
* This revealed a bug in subhost scripting - `web` matched both `web`
and `webmail`; rrq fixed it

### golinux
* Russian forum update . . . Not much activity there but there were
several issues that I communicated to Shekhetov and they were promptly
addressed.
* Devuan iso with Calamares installer.

### plasma41
* The Devuan devuan-dev mailinglist archive is inaccessable. Navigating
  to the "devuan-dev Archives" link on
  <https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devuan-dev>
  returns a 404.
  * (gl) I am able to access
    https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/mindex/devuan-dev@20380101.000000.00000000.en.html
    as well as
    https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devuan-dev I
    have never seen or used pipermail in conjunction with Devuan mail
    lists. I have always used the native link.
  * (plasma41) Hmm, it looks like maybe the "devuan-dev Archives" link
    should be changed from pointing to
    <https://mailinglists.dyne.org/pipermail/devuan-dev/> to pointing to
    <https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/list/devuan-dev.html>?
  * (gl) nightolo would probably have to be the one to do that or
    jaromil. Not a high priority . . .

## New Actions