:: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate …
Author: Steve Litt
To: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /lib/modules on separate partition? (MOSTLY SOLVED)
Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Mon, 21 Nov 2022 21:28:48 -0800

>Looking at the init scripts in /etc/init.d, I found kmod, which does a
>modprobe on the modules listed in /etc/modules.  The link to
>/etc/init.d/kmod is in /etc/rcS.d.  Unfortunately, it is just BEFORE
>the link to /etc/init.d/mountall.  So it attempts to install the
>modules just before it mounts the filesystem that contains
>/lib/modules.

Makes perfect sense. Depending on your filesystems, and whether they're
encrypted and how, you might need to install modules to do the mounts.

I imagine you could re-loop through /etc/modules AGAIN right after
mountall. If there's a problem with something being modprobed twice,
you could have /tmp/module-flags that writes a sentinel file for every
module that loads correctly, and then skip any module that has a
sentinel flag, and then much later in the boot delete all sentinel
flags.

Sound like a kludge? Not half the kludge that modern initramfses are.
All initramfs is really supposed to do is mount the root drive so you
can get to /bin, /sbin and /etc (oh wait, poettering put those all
under /usr, didn't he), and from there you can bring up the rest of the
boot. Or if necessary, even mount /usr from the initramfs. But
goodness, modern initramfses run an entire operating system. The way
things are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see an initramfs throw up
a desktop environment before it does its pivit-root.

[snip]

>Looks like time for another bash alias that will run this for me.
>Then I just need to run one command once the system is booted and I'm
>good for weeks, or months.  Basically, I'm good until another new
>kernel gets installed.  I don't reboot the system too often.

This is an ideal solution. When the computer does something stupid,
work around it. Your friends will throw rotten tomatoes at you, but
your productivity skyrockets. At this point I'd like to quote the late
Phil Barnett, programmer supreme:

"While it would be nice to spend days figuring it out, I spent minutes
and got past it."

SteveT

Steve Litt