:: [devuan-dev] bug#723: init-system-h…
Author: B Stack
To: Mark Hindley
CC: 723, 732-sumbitter
Subject: [devuan-dev] bug#723: init-system-helpers: update-rc.d calls systemctl on a SysVinit system, creating a recursion
Hi,

The systemctl-service-shim main script /usr/bin/systemctl also has a
symlink at /bin/systemctl. If the script is called from /bin/systemctl
then it will remove this symlink during operations to avoid the
recursive calls like you see happening here. You can check the
relevant logs at /var/log/systemctl.log, and please share them here.

The systemctl service shim script has a known problem particularly on
the "enable" action [0] that I thought was fixed. The logs, if you can
share them, might help make an improvement such as the script getting
called in a particular way where it also needs to remove the symlink
to prevent infinite recursion.

B. Stack
[0]: https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=688