:: Re: [DNG] My laptops are used
Author: marc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] My laptops are used
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2022, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > A disclaimer for my posts in the Tuxedo/Costco comparision: Nowadays
> > when I buy a laptop, I buy it used from Refresh Computers.
>
> cheers! me too, as well all Dyne.org infrastructure.
>
> we buy from reware.it and remarkt.nl
>
> big up to all those who recycle \o/ !

Completely agree. It is another alternative to
buying free hardware. Both these approaches deprive
the locked-down hardware vendors of a sale.

In theory a free market should respond to this, though
PC land has its hardware specs dictated by microsoft,
which seems worthy of a competition commission complaint.
Wouldn't the digital markets act have something to
say about blocking booting of other OSes ?

Or put differently, if one is unable/unwilling
to spend the N percent premium on truly libre
hardware, then maybe getting an N percent discount
on older systems could be saved toward the next
libre purchase.

This mail was written on a system from the 2010
or so, which was gratis though sadly not libre
hardware :)

$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         495544       21512      445924          12       28108      463828
Swap:             0           0           0

Its is running Devuan, of course. Admittedly
with some customisations.

regards

marc