:: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and A…
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and Aldous Huxley predicted Microsoft & Lennart Poettering's "Brave New Trusted Boot World"? :oD [OT]
Hi,

On 5/11/22 9:07, Jaromil wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2022, Simon Walter wrote:
>
>> Don't be quiet.
> I've mentioned this direction of developments in my doctoral thesishttps://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/handle/10026.1/11101 where you will find a whole article dedicated to Devuan. It was published in 2018.
>
> ""
> The systemd software is also bound to a US patent 20150040216-A1 “Systems and Methods for Restricting Application Binary Interfaces” filed by Paul Moore, Dan Walsh and Lennart Poettering on behalf of Red Hat inc.
> Arguably, referring to the patent filed by its main author, systemd may adopt this approach as the underpinning of its security model: lock down the functioning of the system in a binary architecture that, despite systemd being opensource, cannot be changed (nor verified) in production environments.
> "" - Roio, D; Algorithmic Sovereignty (2018), University of Plymouth, p.66
>
> This security model is advocated by Microsot since 2 decades (Palladium, TPM) and since 8th generation Intel processors it is also implemented in Windows 11.

This is in line with Lennart's words concerning to the relicense of systemd: "[...] The big benefit of the relicensing is that closed source code may now link against libsystemd-login.so and friends."

Link:

https://gerrit.cesnet.cz/plugins/gitiles/github/systemd/systemd/+/5430f7f2bc7330f3088b894166bf3524a067e3d8

Cheers,

Aitor.