:: [DNG] EFI stubborness and boot orde…
Author: Riccardo Mottola
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] EFI stubborness and boot order
Hi,

I have a laptop which is running devuan... it has the unfortunate issue
that it has apparently no BIOS battery, so if the main accumulator
depletes it looses CMOS settings.
Big issue? well it is not bootable afterwards. I discovered the first
time that devuan wrote a "extra" boot device essentially in the boot
sequence and that one is booted (IIRC it is called "devuan").

To fix it, I booted the Live CD and with "efibootmgr -o xxx" set the
boot order and it would boot again.

Inconvenient because if you forget, the laptop appears bricked, but easy
to fix.

Now it happened again and no matter what, efibootmgr says that no
variables available, as if EFI is not detected.
I disabled CSM (should be BIOS compatibility) but it does not change.
the EFI hasn't so many options I can fiddle with which look like , one
is CSM and one is USB legacy.

I already added "efi=runtime" (this wasn't needed the past attempts) but
doesn't help.

Could it be that the EFI/BIOS gets confused by something else?

Riccardo