:: [devuan-mirrors] ..mirror size, wa…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: devuan-mirrors
Subject: [devuan-mirrors] ..mirror size, was: Removing oldoldstable from package mirror
On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:34:19 +0200, Arnt wrote in message
<20220912143419.1c489605@dvn>:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:59:39 +1000, onefang wrote in message
> <20220912115939.3dbcevx737idptru@???>:
>
> > On 2022-09-12 19:40:48, Matthias Kruk wrote:
> > >    Hello there,
> > >    I was wondering, is there a simple way to remove oldoldstable
> > > from a package mirror and exclude it from the synchronization
> > > process? I suppose it should be possible by adding an exclude
> > > pattern to the rsync command line, but maybe someone who is more
> > > familiar with the repository structure can tell me what exactly
> > > should and should not be excluded? The reason I'm asking is
> > > because during the past months I have been repeatedly running out
> > > of storage on my mirror, making the mirror unusable because the
> > > release files are outdated. I increased the storage size a couple
> > > of times, but unfortunately this is not an option anymore. Thanks
> > > and best regards Matthias

> > Have you tried rsyncs --delete option? That will delete from your
> > mirror anything that got deleted on pkgmaster.
> >
> > Every now and then someone asks me about the mirror size getting
> > bigger all the time. That answer usually fixes things for them.
>
> ..for GPL compliance, keep the sources for another 3 years.
> You are "distributing" the binaries "under the GPL" until you
> remove the binary packages. Set an e.g. 5 minute deadline
> for binary removal "if anyone wants them", then set (and post)
> a source removal date 3 years after that 5 minute deadline.

..this above assumes a public mirror, for any private lan mirrors,
or company employee use or company only use, you are not distributing
any GPL binaries to the public, you are not distributing anything
under the GPL and can yank it down promptly as you (or your boss)
damned please.

> ..debian moves their old stuff to http://archive.debian.org/

..mirror sizes: 'du -sch /srv/devuan/devuan /srv/devuan/merged' ?
My estimate is 2.2TB for /srv/devuan/merged.
Debian's total is 4.44TB plus their http://archive.debian.org/.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: