:: Re: [DNG] meta: list
Author: dng@d404.nl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] meta: list
On 01-09-2022 23:46, marc wrote:
> Hello
>
>> I use gmail, and seem to be getting email from this list. I wonder if it
>> is because I have it skip the inbox, and go straight into a different
>> label.
> I think you are on to something: It could well be that there has been a shift
> to using how the recipients organise their gmail (do you sort it into
> a high value folder, do you reply to it, do you star it, etc, etc) as
> a factor in the decision to reject email at the SMTP transaction.
>
> That might explain why a small subset of gmail users still get to
> see the DNG messages ... if the heuristics are local to a user.
> Which seems reasonable, otherwise a spammer could sign up and superlike
> the their own spam, guaranteeing delivery for others too...
>
> Though I am not sure I should expend the energy to run some tomography on
> these interactions, in order to discover the heuristics that
> google actually uses - with apologies to the hitch-hikers guide to
> the galaxy: As soon as we have an explanation, the system will be
> replaced by an even more complex set of rules.
>
> What it does seem to mean is that gmail users are likely
> missing some legitimate messages completely - without even a
> trace in their spam folders.
>
> I suppose that is just another instance of the Availability vs
> Integrity vs Confidentiality Tradeoff that underlies most
> of Computer Security... though I for one like to make that
> call myself rather than having some AI try infer that from
> my mail reading behaviour.
>
> regards
>
> marc

Not for to use this list but i do have a gmail account as spamcatcher
for a publicly visible mail address. I never use the web interface
though but use Thunderbird to handle that account. So i do not see fancy
lines or high value folders or am using stars. So far Google does handle
spam correctly and I do not have to search that often in the spam
folder. I recommend this for all gmail users.

I do run my own MTA (three of them actually) and noticed a rejection by
gmail the moment I got IPv6 and forgot to set reverse DNS for it. So
rDNS is a thing for gettingaccepted by gmail.

Grtz.

Nick