:: Re: [DNG] mutt attachment problem
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marjorie Roome
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] mutt attachment problem
Hi Haines,

On Mon, 2022-08-22 at 14:56 -0600, Bob Proulx via Dng wrote:
> Antony Stone wrote:
> > Haines Brown wrote:
> > > The size of the zip file is 164 Mb
> >

> 164MB!  OMG!  Repeat after me.  "SMTP is not a file transport
> protocol."  The likelihood of being able to send a 164MB email
> message from one random system on the net to another random system on
> the net today is vanishingly small.  The default for most popular
> mail transport agents even today is 10MB max in size.  Though most
> sites have increased that to at least 50MB and some to 100MB due to
> people trying to send photos through email.  But 164MB?  I don't know
> of any site that allows such a large single email.  Gmail limits
> message size to 25MB
> https://support.google.com/a/answer/1366776?hl=en.
>
> Since email is not a file transport protocol I suggest using a
> different method to transfer those files.  I am worthless for
> suggesting a large binary file drop method since I have my own web
> site and so I always use it for these things.  I just copy it there
> and pass along a URL.  But I know that not everyone maintains their
> own servers and associated web sites.
>
> Perhaps some kind souls on the list might suggest possible ways to
> send large binary files?  That's the real problem and it needs
> a real solution.

If you have a Google account then you /could/ just use Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive
Google Drive has a 15GB capacity free tier, plenty for what you need,
if you haven't filled it already.
Create a shared folder on your Google Drive.
Copy and paste the zip file to it.
Allow the recipient viewer access to the shared folder (you can allow
anyone or be specific to the recipient(s)).
Then just send then a link to the file, they can then just click on the
link and the file will download.