:: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be p…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be prepared for the fall of systemd
marc:
> Steve Litt:
> > 1) Does Busybox init require the daemon to background itself?
>
> So I seem no reason why "nohup daemon > /var/log/logfile &" isn't sufficient
> for this, or is there something I am not aware of ?

The requirement for deamons not to background is so that the process
manager:
1, will get a SIGCHLD when the process terminates instead of scanning
running processes or log files
2, don't need a pid file to find the process for the purpose of
terminating it or something else
3, will get log output from a file descriptor instead of scanning syslog
possible other things...

Depending of your own requirements, that might be important or not.

> > 2) Does Busybox init give you a reasonable way to automatically restart the process
> > after the process terminates?
> >
> > 3) Does Busybox init give you the choice of auto-restart or not for each different
> > process? If it does, that's something specifically missing in Runit.

> TL;DR: just install better daemons ;)

ACK.

But you have to write them also, what others write is usually out of
your hands.

Regards
/Karl Hammar