:: Re: [DNG] Question re: screen blank…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Ludovic Bellière, Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Question re: screen blanking and shutoff
On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 9:21 AM Ludovic Bellière via Dng
<dng@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022, o1bigtenor wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 8:23 PM Ludovic Bellière via Dng
> ><dng@???> wrote:
> >>
> >> You need to understand how your Desktop environment is being initialized. It is
> >> started by the Display Manager, thus inherit whatever environment variable is
> >> sourced by the DM. To have the DM be aware of custom variables, it needs to
> >> source that information from a file from your home directory. The file itself
> >> depends on the DM and/or DE, on how it's been written, because this hasn't been
> >> standardized.
> >>
> >> At the core, all they are doing is starting a Xorg session. Which means that
> >> /etc/X11/Xsession is being involved. I remember having to change something in
> >> order to make xfce aware of additional PATH entries, but I since then changed my
> >> DE to KDE. I can't remember the steps I had to take. It probably has to do with
> >> a file present in /etc/xdg/xfce4
> >>
> >> You could try your luck with ~/.xsessionrc though.
> >>
> >No ~/.xsessionrc present.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession#User_configuration
>

> >Did find the following in the update log - - - seems like systemd is
> >working on sneaking
> >in the back door even if the front door is bolted shut! (in the
> >Debian/xscreensaver files.)
> >
> > - X11: `xscreensaver-systemd' now detects when a video player has
> >          inhibited screen blanking and then exits without uninhibiting.

> IIRC, It's a dbus component to xscreensaver because it can't talk to systemd,
> otherwise. It's not systemd itself though.

Just looks like systemd trying to sneak in the back door by making itself
totally ubiquitous - - - to a not totally knowledgeable person - - - me.

> >I'm finding things are goofy though - - - I made my xrnadr settings
> >permanent by
> >writing the commands to a file and saving it (trying to remember where
> >!!!!1 -0 - - argh!)
> >and found that I needed to modify that placement.
> >Changed the file but I still need to change the setup using xrandr
> >after every restart.
> >The bulk of things is correct but it would be nice if it all were.
> >
> >This issue is frustrating.
> >I do a reboot and take that 1/2 hour to set everything up the way I want. Then
> >the screensaver works for 4 days - - - then it quits - - - like every
> >stinking time!
>
> Restart it. Kill the processes and restart them.

I'll try that.
That should be easier than the rebooting.

Thanks for the continuing ideas.

Regards