:: Re: [DNG] Question re: screen blank…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Question re: screen blanking and shutoff
On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 09:24:42PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 6:26 PM onefang <onefang_devuan@???> wrote:
> >
> > On 2022-07-27 18:04:26, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > Running a AMD 3800X with a Radeon RX570X graphics card using
> > > opensource amdgpu drivers (version compiled for 1.21.1.3, module
> > > version = 22.0.0, Module class: X.Org Video Driver, ABI class: X.Org
> > > Video Driver, version 25.2) running xorg-server 2:21.1.3-2+b1.
> > >
> > > I think my system is reasonably upto date running Daedalus. (Last apt
> > > update check done this morning.)
> > >
> > > The issue - - -
> > >
> > > After a system reboot the screens will enter screensaver pretty
> > > picture mode and then blank to off at the chosen times. I've got 5
> > > monitors set up to display most of a 7680x3000 virtual desktop.
> > > Also run a lot of desktops and tend to accumulate a lot of tabs in my
> > > browsers. Run at least 3 browsers at once (Opera, Brave and Firefox)
> > > with Firefox as the default and have in the past also run Vivaldi.
> > > Firefox is the default browser.
> > > Firefox is the only browser that will place its windows where I had
> > > them on the various desktops. Finding this I have reduced every other
> > > browser to windows on at most one 'desktop'. That is the only way that
> > > I can get any time at all where the screensaver just does its job.
> > > The problem is that after about 80 hours (or so - - - - haven't
> > > defined that time with any precision) the screensaver will move to the
> > > pretty pics screens but does NOT move to screen off.
> > >
> > > I have been trying to find what in either the browsers is hindering
> > > the screen 'blanking' (if I'm using the correct term) or is breaking
> > > on my system - - - dunno. Have been looking at xset as well but really
> > > don't know what the bleeping blazes I'm doing and don't want to create
> > > an even bigger mess!
> > > I am using lxqt still on version 0.16.0 trying to wait patiently for
> > > version 1.01 which is supposedly going to move from experimental to
> > > unstable and testing hopefully very soon but that timing is NOT up to
> > > me.
> > >
> > > Is there someone out there in Devuan land who has any idea of how to
> > > change this annoying behavior?
> > > Can I change something in Xset to make this happen?
> > > Something else?
> > >
> > > (I can reboot and set up things the way I want (takes about 1/2 hour
> > > in total to do everything) so I find that this time every 4 days is a
> > > nuisance. )
> >
> > That sort of thing was driving me crazy for ages, screensaver would blank
> > the screen, but not turn the monitors off. I finally tracked it down.
> > In my case it was running SDL based programs, the fix is -
> >
> > export SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=1
> >
> > That may or may not be your problem though.
> >

> Hmmmmmmm - - - - will dig into that but I don't run any steam connected
> items - - - at least AFAIK but - - - thanks!
>
> Reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with a similar problem!!!

I had that similar problem; a laptop + second monitor, and for me it
was caused by "xfsettingsd" which discovered the monitor turning off
(due to screen blanking) and then forced it back on. The program
seemed to react to the acpi video events and really didn't want the
second monitor turned off while connected.

I resolved this by not running xfsettingsd. That also means the
keyboard shortcuts don't work (other than those of the window
manager), and of course no compositor (but who cares about that?).

Ralph.