:: Re: [DNG] UEFI, software RAID1, LVM…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] UEFI, software RAID1, LVM and encryption
Le 24/07/2022 à 05:18, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng a écrit :
> Hi list,
>
> I lost the single SSD on my mini PC and am in the process of rethinking
> its storage. So far, I've got myself two brand new and identical PCIe
> NVMe SSDs (256GB) for use in a software RAID1 setup. I think I need to
> enable UEFI to get access to the BIOS from the GRUB menu.
>
> I want my /home directory on a partition of its own, at a minimum, and
> encrypt it. I don't see a need to encrypt much else as I am not after
> plausible deniability. It's mostly to be able to return a broken disk
> for a replacement and still sleep in relative peace of mind;-)
>
> I haven't quite made up my mind as to a need for other partitions. I
> use containers and VMs quite a bit. Perhaps these are better stored
> some place other than the partitions for / or (an encrypted) /home.
>
> With 64GB of RAM, I don't see much need for swap. If needed, I could
> always add a swapfile instead of a partition.

    Apart from the containers, which I haven't any experience of, and
given your pretty reasonable description of your needs, my take would be
to reserve the whole of your RAID1 for /home and add a small ssd for all
the OS, in one single partition. Of course, no swap.

    If you happen to loose the OS disk, which is very unlikely: not a
big harm, install Devuan on a fresh one. Your home is safe, although the
only protection against your own mistakes is, of course, backup. KISS!

--     Didier