:: Re: [DNG] Unable to access pool in …
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Unable to access pool in repository
On 2022-07-16 08:21:13, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I tried installing sharutils using aptitude, and was unable to.
> aptitude told me:
>     Temporary failure resolving 'deb.devuan.org'
> and later:
>     E: Failed to fetch
>        http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/s/sharutils/sharutils_4.15.2
>        -5_amd64.deb: Temporary failure resolving 'deb.devuan.org'

> In the browser, I had no problem at all reaching http://deb.devuan.org
> but http://deb.devuan.org/merged/ did not contain pool:
>
> Index of /merged
>
> Name                    Last modified      Size
> Parent Directory                             -
> dists/                  2022-05-14 11:06    -

> What gives?

Your first problem might just be whatever name server you use, it might
have been having problems when you tried aptitude, but not when you tried
a browser. I recently switched to using unbound for the first time, and
I get that several times a day now.

deb.devuan.org is a DNS round robin, it'll hand out a different IP from
our collection of package mirrors. So the first thing you should do when
telling us about problems with it is which IP you got out of it at the
time.

Also note the /DEBIAN/ part, most package mirrors rewrite URLs like that
to point to Debians package mirrors. So there might be some URL
rewriting and redirection going on.

If you can tell me which IP it was, then I can investigate further.

I wrote apt-panopticon to monitor and test lots of things about our
package mirrors, useful for the first place to look. Though I admit it's
still a little buggy.

https://sledjhamr.org/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html
http://veritas.devuan.org/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html
https://borta.devuan.dev/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html