:: Re: [DNG] moving to a new system
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] moving to a new system
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 8:39 AM Adrian Zaugg <devuan.org@???> wrote:

> In der Nachricht vom Saturday, 25 June 2022 15:32:21 CEST schrieb Marjorie
> Roome via Dng:
>
> > (1) Replicate your existing system on the new hardware, maybe with a
> > different disk/partition structure from what you have now. And then
> > upgrade to Devuan.
>
> This is the easiest method mentioned, because you keep all your installed
> programs, special settings and all your modifications. More detailed, but
> certainly not complete:

Well - - - - reporting time.

I might have used this method but my move was already happening when
this suggestion appeared.

Setup new system (partitioning) to newer ideas.
Installed devuan daedalus (testing).
Once system was working I then copied /home from the previous system
using # rsnyc -avxrKSH user@oldsystem(192.168.x.x):/home/ /home/
that only took some 6ish hours.
Next step was to backup my raid-10 array to a new 2 TB HDD, which will
be pulled from the new system and only used for this purpose.
So - - - back to waiting for a PCIe card for more SATA spots, and the
cabling for such. (Mobo seemed to have lots of ports at 8 but I've got
5 used before the raid array or the previous system disc so more ports
are needed.)

I will have to look into rsync some more - - - - seems like a useful tool
- - - thanks to those that suggested its use.

Thanks to one and all that gave input.

Kudus!!! (Finding this to be a very responsive group!!!! Thanks!!)

Aj