:: Re: [DNG] moving to a new system
Top Pagina
Auteur: Radisson
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] moving to a new system

Am 24.06.22 um 16:05 schrieb o1bigtenor via Dng:
> Greetings
>
> Hoping that I'm not asking too many questions.
>
> (moving from debian testing to devuan testing (daedalus)
> the old system is under 5.17.xx and the new one is on 5.18
> if that makes for differences)

When your changes are user-related only, have your changes in /home/user
this is actually easy.
rsync -avz src dst

take same time to make yourself familiar with rsync use -n to have a dry
run, but do also make same real copies.

> (I've learnt the hard way that just winging things means a LOT more
> work and even a greater chance for issues.)
>
> My existing system has been a work in progress for over 10 years. So
> I've gotten things
> set up quite the way that I like them so things change slowly but in
> that there are also
> less 'terror' moments when everything has gone 'goofy'.

When your are like my and you have changed a lot of system stuff
things are more complicated. propper Programms have there configuration
with in /etc. So when you compare your current /etc/ with the new one
you have a good change to figure out what you changed in the last 10 years.

Unfortunately these days same people thing it is a good idea to store
in /usr/share or same where. Here are you on you own.

that should help with most issues.