:: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitionin…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitioning question
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 09:34:32AM +0200, Andreas Messer wrote:

> However, the best way to use SD-Cards in Linux only environments is
> to format them with f2fs file system. f2fs was developed by Samsung
> with internal behavior of embedded MMC memory devices in mind. Which
> is pretty the same like an SD-Card. With f2fs you also have
> uid/gid as usual and it will help to improve the endurance and
> performance of an SD-Card.

Interesting. I always use f2fs on my ssds, but it does seem to have a
large overhead, so although I think I once used it on an sdhc card for
exactly the reasons you describe, I usually go to ext4 without a
journal to get more space. sdhc flash memory is extremely expensive
so there is a strong motive to maximize the available space.

Aside: I have almost ceased to use USB sticks (apart from booting
live images) because a cheap SSD is far faster and cheaper: I
use usb-sata cables, and they only cost a £ or two. I do use
f2fs also on my heritage USB sticks.

ael