:: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitionin…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitioning question
On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 02:14:15PM -0700, Fred wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I recall a lot of discussion about this on either this list or the
> > Debian list.  If the card was an offbrand I would assume it was fraud
> > and would not have even asked here.  However, the card is a SanDisk. The
> > packaging becomes destroyed in removing the card so I can't take it back
> > to Walfart for exchange.

Plenty of fake cards pretend to be SanDisk. No idea whether Walfart can be
trusted to have checked their cards.

> > You said above that you use a better filesystem for the sdhc cards. Have
> > you done that for a card over 32GB?  And how?

Most of my sdhc cards are used in "other" devices, and so have to be
kept in vfat. But I have other cards, usually in ext4 (without a
journal to extend flash life). I can't remember now whether any are
64GB, but I have never had any problem reformatting, or finding fdisk
reporting different sizes. But then I always check cards with f3 on
purchase, just in case. Using fwrite and fread also gives me an idea of
the speed of the card. The downside is that that test writes all
(unreserved blocks) so all subsequent writes need an erase cycle,
so the effective speed drops. But that is going to happen anyway
with normal use.

ael