:: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitionin…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] fdisk SD card partitioning question
On Sunday 12 June 2022 at 17:11:45, Fred wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some directories I want to back up to an SD card while preserving
> the permissions. I have tried to repartition a 64GB card and write an
> ext4 filesystem.

What is the existing partition table?

Out of interest, since this is ext4 and therefore Linux (not Windows), why
partiton at all? Why not just "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX"?

> fdisk says the card has 124702720 sectors and has 59.5GB available.
> However it will not make a partition over 27.5GB. Why and what to do?

What's the output of "fdisk -l /dev/sdX"?

Have you tried wiping the partition table and creating a new one?

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=10M count=10

Then use fdisk as usual - it will prompt you to create a new table.

Antony.

--
In Heaven, the beer is Belgian, the chefs are Italian, the supermarkets are
British, the mechanics are German, the lovers are French, the entertainment is

In Hell, the beer is American, the chefs are British, the supermarkets are
German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the entertainment is
Belgian, and everything is organised by the Italians.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.