:: Re: [DNG] vdev in chimaera
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev in chimaera
Le 25/05/2022 à 23:04, karl@??? a écrit :
> Aitor:
>> On 20/1/22 0:23, aitor wrote:
>>> I uploaded some images of gnuinos chimaera including vdev as default
>>> device manager.
>> It's possible to choose between sysvinit, openrc or runit at the end of the
>> installation, but unlike devuan, the later is set as default.
>>
>> Bear in mind that you can always toggle device managers via apt, whether:
>>
>> # apt-get install libeudev1 eudev
>>
>> or
>>
>> # apt-get install libudev1-compat vdev
> It would be nice if one could choose static /dev (as it was before udev).
> It is no problem running with a static /dev if you compile your own
> kernel.

    Seems there is a myth about user-space hotplugger
(udev/eudev/vdev/mdev) being necessary to have a dynamic /dev. Dynamic
/dev has been managed by the kernel from many years. The hotpluggers do
other things, like managing the symlinks in /dev/disk/by-* and they are
usefull for that. But, even if you remove the hotplugger, if the kernel
has the DEVTMPFS feature enabled (which is likely), it will create and
delete the device files.

--     Didier

--     Didier