:: Re: [DNG] window manager question
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] window manager question
On 5/18/22 17:46, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 02:47:25PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I normally use openbox for window manager but I would like to try fvwm. Can
>> this be done without disrupting openbox and how to do it?
>
> Run X on a free virtual terminal, then you'll start fvwm and, say,
> xterm on that:
>
> E.g.:
>
> $ sudo /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth $HOME/fvwm-trial.auth :2 vt09
> $ DISPLAY=:2
> $ fvwm&
> $ xterm&
>
> That will start an X server on vt9 with display identity :2, with fvwm
> and an xterm. Shift to it with C-A-F9 and shift back with C-A-F7.
>
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I assume that when I install fvwm first it won't automagically replace
openbox?

Your sudo command line and following commands are executed in an openbox
xterm which starts fvwm in the "void" and the C-A-F9 switches out of
openbox and into fvwm?

When I am done evaluating fvwm I can stop it by kill -9 whatever-its-PID
is? Or is there a proper way?

Best regards,
Fred