:: Re: [DNG] resolv.conf
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] resolv.conf
Daniel Abrecht via Dng said on Sun, 08 May 2022 17:14:03 +0200

>If you don't have a public domain, then the correct domain to use in
>an internal networks is home.arpa, see:
>https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-homenet-dot-07.html
>
>home.arpa. is intentionaly set up as an unsigned delegation, so it
>won't break when someone uses dnssec. Other domains will fail dnssec.
>
>Unfortunately, noone seams to ever check dnssec for some reason, and
>noone seams to care about home.arpa either. But I'm still optimistic
>that this may someday change.

That RFC would have much better acceptance if either it was more
accessible to the network non-expert, or pointed to documentation for
the non-expert. I wasn't able to glean from the document what I was
supposed to do with home.arpa, plus the stuff about blackhole servers
must be pointed to went right over my head.

In my case it doesn't matter. Since the waning days of the 20th
century, my home LAN has had the TLD "cxm", because I'm a technical
writer, and translating cxm to com would be much easier than doing the
same for home.arpa, given that both home and arpa are likely to appear
elsewhere in my documents.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm