:: Re: [DNG] resolv.conf
Author: william m. moss
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] resolv.conf
On 5/8/22 07:45, Haines Brown wrote:
> I do not know how long ago it was, but some of my mail started to go
> out without an envelop sender address. I've not yet been able to
> figure why, but one thing I don't like is the appearance of my
> /etc/resolv.conf file. It looks like this:
>
>    nameserver 192.168.254.254
>    search home
>    domain home
>
> The 192.1683.254.254 is my router. I assume that "home' is useless.
>
> I installed resolvcom, ran it with a -u option and rebooted. All
> this did was to remove the domain line from resolv.conf.
>
> How is resolv.conf supposed to get the name of my ISP? I suppose from
> my router. The router knows what Frontier SSID it is using and the
> connection type is DHCP via 802.1x. It says public LAN is disabled.
> But it appends -16 to my host name. My mail problem may have
> started when Frontier replaced my router.
>
> I installed resolvcon, ran it and rebooted. All it did was to remove
> the domain line.
>
> It used to be that for both the search and domian lines was found the
> name of my ISP (Frontier.com). This seemd to work.

Years ago I became fed up with too many applications and installations
corrupting my resolv.conf. I type in a resolv.conf using an editor.

domain billshome
search billshome
nameserver 10.0.0.252

My router knows about the domain (DD-WRT Linksys) and will promote an
unresolved search to the WAN port as per BIND standards.

To prevent the file from being corrupted by other applications:
--> I keep a copy in /etc/src
--> I check in the bind boot (init.d) script with diff and copy the src
file if needs be.
--> I look for any init scripts that toy with the file and alter them if
possible.
--> If you make the file a symbolic link, most scripts seem to ignore
altering it.

Hope this helps.