:: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogi…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Mark Hindley
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Newer version of libelogind0 not getting installed
Hi Mark,

Mark Hindley <mark@???> writes:

> Olaf,
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 06:14:26PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
>> Ah! Looking at the currently installed libelogind0=246.10-3, I see it
>> Provides: libsystemd0 whereas libelogind0=246.10-4 no longer does.
>>
>> Any reason that was dropped?
>
> The Provides was moved into the new libelogind-compat package[1]. I think,
> installing that will fix it. But I will have to check why that is not happening
> by default.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I guess I should add that I use

APT::Install-Recommends "false";

Just a quick test (not installing, yet)

  root@basecamp:~# apt install libelogind-compat --assume-no
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  The following additional packages will be installed:
    libelogind0
    libelogind-compat
    libelogind0
  1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 256 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 17.4 kB of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] N
  Abort.

so yes, installing it will fix it. It's just that I think there should
be no need to install run-time library dependencies explicitly, even if
one decides that Recommends: are just that ;-)

> [1]  This was to enable libelogind0 and libsystemd0 to be coninstallable which
>      allows building of Debian sources requiring libsystemd-dev on Devuan
>      systems with libelogind0 installed.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27