:: [DNG] booting devuan minimal live o…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: dng
CC: katolaz
Subject: [DNG] booting devuan minimal live on MSI laptop
Hello everyone.

I need to backup a windows 10 laptop which I don't use, but need to
provide support for. This is a UEFI machine with secure boot enabled.

When I plug in a custom devuan install I have on a pen drive which
I've setup for such things, the system doesn't even recognize the
drive is plugged in when in the boot menu. This is most likely because this
is a system with grub2 booting from MBR which works for my other use
cases. So, I decided to dd the devuan Chimaera minimal live amd64 UEFI
iso to a pen drive. When I try to boot with the minimal live drive
attached, the drive is
recognized, but I get a message about invalid signature, secure boot
violation. Pressing enter on that just takes me back to the boot
menu.

Is there some way for me to get a valid signature from the existing
windows 10 install on that machine, and remaster the minimal live iso
to include that?

Removing the MVME drive and just backing it up on another system is
something else I've considered. However, to do so, I need to remove a
sticker over one of the screw holes in the case, which would void the
warranty. This is something I don't want to do, and I also don't look
forward to cracking open this thin laptop case.

I also hesitate to disable secure boot. Even if I could do that on
this laptop, I would need someone else to read the UEFI screens to me
while I did that. From what I've read, disabling and enabling secure
boot isn't just a simple toggle operation. I also don't want to make
the existing windows install unbootable before I backup the machine.

So, remastering the minimal live image to have a valid secure boot
signature seems the simplest way forward. Any help on figuring out on
how to get a valid signature, and remastering the iso image would be
much appreciated. Pointers to web pages are good enough. This is my
first time dealing with secure boot, so please excuse me if I'm slow
on the uptake. In case it matters, the machine in question is an MSI
GF63 Thin 10SCXR-222. Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1